The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has very specific rules and regulations in place to protect construction workers around the country. Construction companies all want to keep their employees safe and take implement policies to make sure this is the case. When using Certex lifting products, rigging hardware or whatever equipment workers need to do their job, there are some basic things you can do to keep your people safe when they are on the job.
- Have a plan in place for emergencies. There is a saying, “A failure to plan is a plan to fail.” You need to have a plan for what your employees will do should there be an emergency. Even the best safety equipment does not replace the need for an emergency plan. Even if they are using the best Certex lifting products, if something happens and no one knows what to do in a crisis, you will have problems. Have a meeting location for employees should be a part of this plan.
- Take the right steps with safety equipment. OSHA requires all employers have the right safety equipment available on all of their construction sites. It is not enough to have the equipment and safety supplies on the job sites. You need to make sure that all of your employees know how to use the equipment. That means you need to provide training and follow up training. There is a lot of construction equipment, such as Certex lifting products, that are designed specifically to keep employees safe but it is important that people use these products correctly. Doing safety checks should be a part of your business. Check to make sure your staff are using the safety equipment correctly.
- Mark your evacuation sites and your trenches. When trenches and evacuation sites are left unmarked and unprotected, they can be very hazardous for the people working or visiting the site. You need to make sure your employees follow the rules and regulations that govern the slopes when constructing trenches. You need to make sure the appropriate supports are installed.
- Take your time. It is true that “time is money” but you need to take your time when you build your scaffolding and other structures that allow employees to do their job at higher heights. OSHA has clear rules and regulations on what equipment is needed at various heights but if you rush building these structures, mistakes can happen that can be dangerous. These structures must be correctly inspected before employees are allowed to use them and maintained after use has begun. All plants are required to be able to handle up to four times the maximum allowed load. These structures should never be supported with boxes, concrete or barrels.
- Inspect your site for fall dangers. Again, OSHA has very specific rules that were put in place to protect workers from falls. The federal agency requires the fall or arrest distance be no more than six feet. It is rare to find exceptions to that rule. Furthermore, OSHA mandates that companies provide their workers with fall protection at elevations that are four feet or higher in basic industry. This is increased to six feet for construction workers and to eight feet for people who work in longshoring. Provide the fall protection equipment that is appropriate for the job at hand. This is one of the most important things you can do to protect your workers.
- Make sure all of your equipment is properly maintained. You need to have a regular schedule for the inspection and maintenance of your tools and equipment. From your Certex lifting products to your fall protection equipment, everything needs to be checked and fixed or replaced when that is needed. It is also important to make sure your employees are using the right tools and equipment for the job they are doing.
Safety on worksites is very important for all businesses but certain industries are more dangerous than others. As am employer, you are responsible for certain aspects of worker safety. It is also important to make sure your employees see their role in staying safe. When it comes to safety at work, everyone on the site plays a role.