If you are looking for a new roof, you have a lot of options. One popular and great choice is metal roofing. Here are some reasons why that may be the best option for your home.
- They look great. When you have metal roofing installed, you have over 100 colors to choose from and multiple styles. No matter what your taste of kind of home you have, you will be able to find metal roofing that will compliment it and add value to your home.
- They will save you on your utility bills. It has been estimated that having a metal roof can cut the costs of cooling a home by as much as 20%. The reason for this is simple. The metal roofing reflects the rays from the sun, keeping the home a lot cooler. When you have a conventional roof, made from asphalt shingles, it attracts and traps the heat from the sun. It has been estimated that a roof’s temperature can be reduced by 100 degrees Fahrenheit if the roof has an Energy Star rating.
- They last a long time. It has been estimated that a traditional roof with asphalt shingles will last a maximum of 20 years. By contrast, metal roofing generally lasts about 50 years. If the steel roofing material has been treated with an aluminum alloy that can increase to a century. If you have a residential metal roof put on your home, the chances are good that your roof will outlast the time that you live in the home.
- They do not require a lot of maintenance. Traditional roofs that are made from asphalt shingles need a lot of maintenance. Homeowners need to check them for loose shingles after any storms or wind. This can be pricey. Every year, the typical homeowner with a traditional roof will have to spend anywhere between 1 and 4% of the value of the house on roof repairs. If the home is worth $200,000, the homeowner will spend about $2,000 that has to be spent every year. Generally, all homeowners with metal roofing need to do is clean and clear off any debris such as leaves, branches or twigs. The gutters also have to be maintained.
- They are good for the environment. When metal roofing is installed, they are typically made from at least one quarter recycled material. Moreover, the entire metal roof can be recycled after the roof has reached the end of its lifecycle. That makes it one of the most environmentally friendly kind of roofing around. When traditional asphalt roofs need to be replaced, most of the material is sent to landfills.
- They can cut your tax bill. Because metal roofing helps homeowners use so much less energy, there are federal, local and state programs that are there to offer homeowners incentives to have this kind of roofing installed. At the very least, anyone who is looking into getting this kind of roofing should talk to their accountant or government officials to see if there are any promotions or incentives that are being offered to offset the costs of having the metal roofing installed.
- They will keep your family safe. Most metal roofing can withstand winds of up to 140 miles per hour. This is very important if you like in any part of the United States that sees some severe weather. It may not seem like it but between the hurricanes, blizzards and tornadoes that the country gets every year, the United States has some of the most volatile and dangerous weather on the planet. When homes are damaged by the wind, it can be very expensive to repair. Most experts in residential roofing say that it can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 or more to make repairs to homes that were damaged by wind. Metal roofing can prevent all of that.
- They add value to the home. Because of all of the benefits associated with metal roofing, home buyers are willing to spend more on homes that have metal roofs. If you are thinking about selling our home, this can have a great return on investment.
When considering a new roof, homeowners need to spend some time researching all of their options to get the best value.