Investing in commercial property is becoming more and more popular. Between 2012 and 2017, the industry grew by about 3.9% each year. At least 55% of millennials say that they have an interest in making commercial property investments. When you are dealing with the different commercial lease types, the process can be a lot more complicated than dealing with residential properties. Here are some tips for having a better experience:
- Find a mentor. If you are new to commercial property investments, it is always a good idea to get advice from someone who has a lot of experience in this area. There are a lot of people out there who have found success with commercial leasing and most of them were helped by someone along the way. As a consequence, many of these people are willing to be mentors to people who are just getting into the industry. To find this person or people, you should talk to the people you know who have either made money in this area or who know someone who has. You may want to talk to your city or locality government to see if they have any resources for this.
- Take on a partner. If you have been talking to someone about going into business together, this can be a great idea when it comes to making commercial property investments. If the person has more experience than you do in this area, that is great. Even if they do not, they say that two heads are better than one and that is true in this area. It can also make the whole process less stressful.
- Do your research. When you first start out with commercial property investments, you may not know all that much about the process and what to expect. The good news is that there are a lot of resources out there that can help you learn the lingo and get to know the industry before you take the leap. There are a lot of differences between commercial and residential real estate.
- Go big or go home. When you are dealing with commercial real estate properties. When it comes to the income from and the commercial rent that is charged is based on the amount of square footage that is usable at a property. If you are looking into investing in a residential building, it takes just as much time and effort to manage a property with 20 apartments as it is to manage one with the five. The difference is that you will bring in a lot more income when you are managing the larger building so go for bigger spaces.
- Develop a strategy. Before you start looking into commercial real estate investment opportunities, you should have a plan of how you will do it. This is something you can work out with a mentor you have found if you have found one. You can also take advantage of programs offered by your city or country government and through the Small Business Administration that are there specifically to help people make these kinds of investments. You should work out how much personal capital you have, how much funding you have access to, and how much you think you will make with your investments in this area.
- Know a good deal when you see it. There are a few aspects to this. In the first place, you should not go into the process to make commercial property investments with your heart set on one particular kind of deal or another. The problem when you are married to an idea when you start the process of looking for good deals, you miss some great ones. When you go into the process with a more open mind, you will have a better chance of being in a position to take advantage of great deals when you find them. This is one of the most important things you can do when you are looking for good commercial real estate investments.
There are a lot of opportunities out there to make money making commercial real estate investments. These tips can help you make the right decisions here.